Care of Invisalign Aligners
If you have any problems, please let us know ASAP.
Please do NOT move to next aligner if your current aligner isn’t fitting.
Your treatment with Invisalign Aligners is in your hands. The following guidelines will help keep your care on track to an excellent result.
Each set of aligners are to be to be worn 22 hours per day, every day, for your prescribed weeks before moving to the next set. Below 20 hours per day will result in poor “tracking”, prolonged treatment and compromised results.
- Remove aligners for eating and drinking anything other than water.
- After eating or drinking anything with dye and/or sugar make sure to brush or rinse your mouth with mouth rinse.
- Brush your teeth and clean your aligners three times a day and floss once a day.
- When cleaning your aligners brush the inside and outside of aligners. Avoid abrasive toothpastes as they scratch the aligners, making plaque adhere more easily.
- You can soak your aligners in hydrogen peroxide, alcohol-free mouthwash, or an Efferdent type cleaner. Do not use alcohol-based products as they make the plastic brittle.
- Avoid hot/boiling water or leaving them in a hot car as the aligners will distort.
- Always keep your aligners in a case when not being worn. Aligners are easily thrown away and animals will destroy an aligner in seconds.
- Always keep your old aligners until you are finished with the full series. If you lose or damage an aligner, please call right away for instructions. We may need to order replacement aligners.
- Always wear your current aligner to your appointment so Dr. Breha can monitor your progress and tracking.
- If you lose an attachment, please call the office for instructions and/or an appointment.
- Should your aligner rub against our gums, you can take a nail file and smooth the area of the aligner for comfort.
- Discomfort is usually minimal with use of new aligners and can be managed with Advil, Motrin etc. All aligners “loosen up” a little within the first 24 hours.